Friday, October 26, 2007

Convert File Gibberish

Flustrated!!!
Ever had a patron come in with a file in Microsoft Works or some other file format and cannot open it on our public PCs? All you get it gibberish???


The next time this happens consider using http://www.zamzar.com/. Zamzar supports conversion between a wide variety of different file formats and are adding support for other formats all the time. It has worked for us a number of times.




Photo Credit: Meredith Farmer - http://www.flickr.com/photos/meredithfarmer

4 comments:

Tressa Fancher said...

This happens a lot here in Fiction. Can't wait to suggest this to patrons and see if it works. Thanks, Richard.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Richard! I will be sharing this with both staff and patrons.

Anonymous said...

By the way, the file converter does work. I tried it out this afternoon by converting a doc to a pdf. Then I converted the pdf to doc. It works!

Leslie Deason said...

I look forward to using this tool myself. It's very frustrating to receive a file in e-mail that you are unable to read. Now I will be able to open files with ease.

I will suggest this tool to patrons in Fiction. We always have individuals who become very frustrated with files they cannot read immediately.

Thanks,Richard!