Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Interesting Encounter with After School Kids

Earlier this week I was asked by two boys (probably 4th or 5th grade) what happens on the fourth floor of the library. I explained that the Staff Break Room was there, that all of our books and other materials were ordered there and that lots of other behind-the-scenes stuff takes place up there. We got on the elevator and talked a little more. I casually asked if they would like a behind-the-scenes tour and they said in unison, "YEAH!" I said OK and was going on to other things and they stopped me and said, "When?" meaning the tour. So, I said they could remind me and we would do it soon.

It got me thinking. All these kids hang out at the library and apparently, at least some of them are interested in what we do. So, I propose that we organize a tour for these kids from time to time. We could do pieces and start out with short tours including staff explaining what they do for the kids. Maybe provide a little refreshment. So, does anyone want to do this? What do you think?

2 comments:

Elizabeth Swift said...

Well, what was your encounter?

Michelle D. Hamrick said...

This sounds like a great way to get to know some of our regular kids and offer them a sense of ownership in their library.